Monday, August 13, 2012

Little trick to clean silver chain

I decided to post something different today. It's a simple tutorial about how to clean your silver chain that turns black. I'm pretty sure everyone has at least experience once where the silver chain of your necklace turned into black color over time. What I would do last time was just to get a new chain because I have no idea on how to clean it.

I have this necklace which is a special gift from my 21st birthday. It turned black very soon as I wear it quite often. As you know, when silver comes into contact with the air, it oxidizes or turns into an iridescent black. It looked really bad and I stopped wearing it since then. So this day I had this random thought of cleaning it so I googled the ways to do it, and tried it out. It works really well and I'd love to share this with you all :)

IMG_0007
Look at the ugly dirty black chain I had :(

IMG_0014

IMG_0017

All you ever need is baking soda and aluminium foil. These are the magic ingredients of the cleaning process. Once you got it, just let the magic do the work for you.

Nah just kidding :P

There are tons of tips and tricks available online, teaching you how to clean the necklace. Some are very troublesome and some are quite easy. I'm just gonna show you how I did it after I integrate and improvise what I thought was the best and easiest way.

IMG_0016
1. Soak your necklace in a bowl of boiled water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda for 5 minutes.

IMG_0018
2. Place the aluminum foil into a pan or pot.

IMG_0020
3. Place the necklace chain onto the foil and cover it with some baking soda.

IMG_0028
4. Put some water into the pot enough to cover the foil and boil it for 5 minutes.

IMG_0026
5. Take it out and wipe with cleaning cloth. (As you can see, even before you wipe it clean, the black stain are all gone already!)

IMG_0038
And it's done! Bright, shiny and clean like a new chain! :)

It works well to all silver products (eg. coins, platter, cutlery, etc). This method is just fantastic! :D
The reason why we put a piece of aluminum foil is because of its chemical reaction when you put it together with silver. With the help of baking soda, the solution carries the sulfur from the silver to aluminum. That is also why at the end you can see the change of color in the aluminum foil. Too bad my chemistry sucks, otherwise I can explain to you clearly how this method works.

Anyway, I hope these little tricks could come in handy for you one day! :)